Sunday 22 April 2012

Perfect game for Philip Humber means the perfect glory in Cooperstown


White Sox right-hander Philip Humber visited Cooperstown, looked around and was impressed.  I was at the Hall of Fame, Humber, 29, said.  

I saw things that is there. And now, to think that something I will be there? Its pretty impressive. I do not know what to say about it.  

Humber artifacts are headed to the museum devoted baseball after throwing a perfect game 21st in the majors in history Saturday, beating the Seattle Mariners 4-0 before a national television audience, an appreciative crowd and Pacific Northwest mentally drained his teammates who hung on to everyone Humber locations in the final rounds.  

Ive never been this exhausted after a game, and I do not even have, said reliever Will Ohman, who joined a rush charge throwers the bullpen in left field to pile on Humber and other teammates after the last out. He could not have happened to a better person.  

I do not know what Philip Humber on this list, said Humber. I have no idea what my name is doing there. But Im grateful its there.

Humber, Sox 'starter wheel whose first turn was skipped because of a rainout in Cleveland, fell to his knees and was quickly engulfed by a team which improved to 8-6.

"I felt [pitcher Jake] Peavy on my back,'' Humber said. "I could not breathe, and I was like, 'Let me up." I scratched my forehead on the floor. The best part was seeing my teammates happy. The rest was kind of a blur.''

He was the first perfect game as the Phillies' Roy Halladay threw one against the Marlins May 29, 2010. He was the third in Sox history. Mark Buehrle against Tampa Bay July 23, 2009, and Charlie Robertson against Detroit April 30, 1922, were the other.

"I guarantee you, he was the calmest one in the dugout,'' Peavy said." It was the most exciting thing I've ever been a part of.''

A No. 3 overall pick by the Mets, Humber never lived until the status of a handful of organizations due to injuries, among other things. Claimed on waivers by the Red Sox before last season, he became the latest in a line of reclamation projects for pitching coach Don Cooper.

"It's hard to put into words,'' Cooper said. "He has good things, he commanded the devil out of it and everything fell into place. I was calm in the game Buehrle, and I was calm in it. Get up on the rail and watch Phil . His command was very good. It's wonderful to see the joy and emotion of a guy who happens to this goal. # 21 of the world.''

Humber has spoken to his father on his phone and his first concern, his wife, Kristan, who is nine months pregnant.

"I have been to ensure that it did not give birth when I was pitching,'' he said.

It could have been a problem in the ninth when Humber went to 3-0 on the first batter, Michael Saunders. It was his first ball of the count of three, but he recovered scratch. John Jaso flied out, and Ryan could not check his swing on the 27th.

The only thing close to a successful online training was Kyle Seager left that Brent Lillibridge ran down and Dustin Ackley is right that Alex Rios took on his shoulder.

"It was the biggest rush I've lived in baseball,'' said Rios.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Vickies Styles